Sorry it’s taken me so long to update. I have been couch bound while recovering from knee surgery for the last 11 days. I’m beginning to get up and at ’em, but my body still feels like it needs sleep. More on that in a different post, though.
From a flood/recovery stand point, it appears as if things are still at a stand still at my grand parent’s house. They are currently waiting on the local government to decide whether any areas will have to raise their houses. If that happens, their recover efforts will take a big hit. The early calculation is that it would cost approximately $20K per foot to raise the house, and with the flood stage hitting their house at just under 5 feet, that would cost them anywhere from $100K or more just to raise the foundation. This makes even the idea of rebuilding a lingering question at this point. More to follow on that.
A little farther down south, and my parents are currently in the cleanup/ rebuild process. They will not be required to raise their house. So, that’s been a saving grace, at least. They finally got the house dried and the insulation put back up. Some drywall is up, and they hope to finish this week. I’ll add those pictures once complete. The “trash pile” which contained 20-30 years of possessions was finally picked up yesterday. Though it’s sad to see everything officially gone, my parents can finally stop looking back when they see that pile and start looking forward. My mom reports that the sandbags are slowly but surely coming up. It’s a work in progress, but it is progress.
I’m sure the updates will be slower in the coming weeks, but I will continue to update until things are complete. Thank you all for your concern, prayers, donations, and thoughts.